Saturday, June 8, 2013

Some specifics....

Hi there again.  I'm here today to help you understand a little bit more about the program that's taking me away from the US for two months. It starts June 12 and ends August 12.  It's called CET Summer Language Intensive Beijing.  I will be taking Chinese classes five days a week and living in a dorm at the Beijing Institute of Education:
Address: 2 Wenxing Street
               Xizhimenwai, Xicheng District
               Beijing 100044, PRC

The school is right by the Beijing Zoo and in the second ring of the city.  I will have a Chinese roommate, though I don't know who yet (I promise to let you know just as soon as I find out).  From what I can tell there will be about 40 of us in the intensive language program, including a few from UNC that I have already met.  And cool (and terrifying) thing about the intensive language program is that I will sign a language pledge when I get there, saying I will only speak Chinese for my two months in Beijing...which will make things quite interesting.

Some of you may know that I received the Phillips Ambassador Scholarship.  This scholarship is not affiliated with CET, but is instead through UNC.  It was awarded two 21 students from UNC traveling to Asia during the summer or fall of this year.  The Phillips' are extremely generous, giving me $5000.  However, I don't get to just take the money and run.  I will also be completing class while I'm over there by reflecting and analyzing my experiences while in Beijing.

Ok, that's all for now.  Let me know if you have any questions in the comments section.  Ta ta for now.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Paige!! HOW EXCITING!!! I will definitely be following your blog while you are in Beijing! Congratulations on the scholarship!!!

    ReplyDelete